Asturias to Andalucia – the Roman Way
Based on 14 nights self-drive independent tour in Spain
Following the ancient, Via de Plata, trading route – literally the ‘Silver Path’ – this epic journey crosses Spain from north to south. Few tours offer such extreme contrasts, from the lush green valleys of Asturias to the arid plains and high sierras of Castilla-León and Extremadura, finally reaching the orange groves of Andalucia; from the bedrock of Christian Spain to the heart of the one-time sultanate, here you truly get a sense of Spain’s rich and turbulent history…
The full route takes two weeks but you can do as little, or as much, as you like
- Picos de Europa & the dramatic north coast
- León & Astorga – crossroads with the Camino de Santiago
- Salamanca – monumental university city
- Dehesa landscapes – Jamón Iberico
- Historic Caceres, Trujillo, Guadalupe
- Sevilla – full of Andalucian ‘alegría’
Day 1 & 2 – Asturias: Picos & Dinosaur Coast
- Picos de Europa soaring directly from the coast
- Cider country – the Spanish Cornwall?
- Beautiful beaches with fossil dino-footprints
- Canoe down the Sella or get out on a fishing boat
- Oviedo’s fine Pre-Romanesque architecture
Days 3 to 5 – León & Astorga
- Leon’s cathedral & lively old town
- Maragato culture in Astorga
- Lunar landscape of Las Medulas
- Great wines from Toro, El Bierzo & Rueda
- Gaudi’s fairytale palace in Astorga
Day 6 & 7 – Salamanca
- Monumental Salamanca – a World Heritage Site
- Spain’s oldest university – Europe’s fourth
- Savour the delicious Gijuelo cured ham
- Casa de las Conchas – Dali’s inspiration?
- Stroll on the Roman bridge or in the lovely gardens
Day 8 & 9 – Hervás
- Explore the high Sierras of Gredos and Salamanca
- Lose yourself in the Jewish Quarter of Hervás
- Valle del Jerte cherry trees by the million – a real treat in Spring!
- Visit Candelario & Béjar – two true beauties
- Plasencia – key staging point on the Via de Plata
Day 10 & 11 – Trujillo
- Monfrague National Park – a lesser known gem
- Historic Cáceres & Trujillo with its imposing castle
- Take a pilgrimage to Guadalupe
- 2nd century Roman bridge at Alcántara
- Excellent local cheese and game dishes
Day 12 – Llerena
- Mérida, some of Spain’s finest Roman ruins
- Paintings of Zurbarán and much more in Zafra la Bella
- Jerez de Los Caballeros – town of the Conquistadores
- .Discover the “dehesa” grazing for the Iberian pigs
- Sample the local jamón at Monesterio – simply the best
Day 13 & 14 – Sevilla
- Gateway to the New World & all its riches
- 3 World Heritage Sites in the Old Town!
- Magnificent Cathedral & Archive of the Indies
- Moorish Alcázar Palace & Giralda Tower
- Thriving Flamenco culture in Triana
The itinerary includes the following:
- Accommodation in our listed hotels – 2 sharing 1 std. double ensuite, B&B
- Economy 4dr car hire
- Cadogan Guide
- Restaurant guide covering regions en-route
- Instructions to find all accommodation & regional road map
Note – Flights are not included but we are able to advise
A point-to-point itinerary, this route is best enjoyed flying in to the north and back from the south of Spain – or vice versa – the best options are:
- From Stansted: Easyjet to Asturias or Ryanair to Santander
- From Gatwick: to Asturias with Vueling (Iberia)
- From Heathrow: to Asturias with BA
- From Edinburgh or Dublin: Ryanair to Santander
- From Sevilla: Ryanair to Stansted, Glasgow or Dublin
- From Jerez: Ryanair to Stansted
- From Malaga: Easyjet to Stansted, Glasgow, Manchester, Luton + others, Ryanair to Edinburgh, Liverpool, Leeds, Manchester + others
NB: Flights are not included
If these flights don’t suit the route can be adapted to suit many different options including, for example, starting or finishing in Madrid. Please contact us for advice.
For passengers travelling by air we will include a hire car as part of the package. Normally we include a 4 door economy class car but please let us know if you would like something different.
For those coming on the ferry you will use your own vehicle but in either case we will provide full instructions to arrive at each hotel, complete with GPS, as well as a map of the area
What our clients say…
Just to say a big thank you we had a brilliant holiday
– client 2012
Absolutely fantastic holiday in Northern Spain couldn’t have gone better.
Loveliest holiday on every count. Brilliant hotels will recommend to friends.
Couldn’t enthuse more about it.
– client 2013
Brilliant organisation, love to come back
– client 2013
Great mix of coast and mountains just what we asked for.
Thanks for your help in organising this holiday.
– client 2012