Huesca and Catalunya
Based on 7 nights self-drive independent tour in Spain
From Huesca, the heart of the Pyrenees to Catalunya.
Discover Spain’s most spectacular National Parks – Ordesa & Monte Perdido, Posets-Maladeta, and Aigüestortes, as well as the Garrotxa Volcanic Park.
There are charming villages all the way; medieval Ainsa, Alquézar, Besalú and Santa Pau with Dali´s Figueras and the Costa Brava within easy reach.
You’ll find delicious regional cuisine from the mountain lamb and beef in Ainsa to Cuina Volcanica in La Garrotxa as well as fine local wines to savour.
- Volcanoes of La Garrotxa
- Alpine highlands & lakes in Aiguestortes
- Ordesa, Monte Perdido Aneto & Posets-Maladeta
- Eagles, vultures and lammergeyers
- Unique culture & architecture in each valley
- Delicious local wines & volcanic cuisine
Day 1 to 3 – Ordesa, Monte Perdido, Sierra de Guara
- Moorish Alquézar & Christian Ainsa – two charming medieval villages
- Ordesa & Monte Perdido – Spain’s first National Park
- Sierra de Guara – cut through by dramatic gorges
- Delicious local Somontano wines
- Superb bird watching. Lammergeyer centre in Ainsa
Day 4 & 5 – Val d’Aneu and Val d’Aran
- Gateway to the Parc Nacional d’ Aiguestortes i Estany
- Unique culture, architecture in the Val d’Aran
- Parc Nacional del Alt Pirineu with the highest peaks
- Churches – Romanesque, Renaissance and Baroque
- Mountain gastronomy with local cheeses, honey and even local caviar!
Day 6 & 7 – Garrotxa Volcanic Park
- Medieval Santa Pau and Besalú’s Jewish quarter
- Cuina Volcanica, ingredients grown in the volcanic soil
- Visit Santa Margarida – the chapel in the crater
- Dali museum in Figueras or hop down to the coast
- Cycle, Segway, trek or balloon ride over the Volcanoes
- Explore the Alt Garrotxa, eastern end of the Pyrenees
The itinerary includes the following:
- Accommodation in our listed hotels – 2 sharing 1 std. double ensuite, B&B
- Economy 4dr car hire
- Regional map and guide book
- Restaurant guide covering regions en-route
- Instructions to find all accommodation & regional road map
- Flights – but we are able to advise
- One-way car hire charges, where applicable (see your quote email)
- The following car hire extras – these can be added at pick-up point
- extra driver
- child seats
- Garage parking where applicable (mostly city stops) – please ask us about parking charges
You can make the trip vice versa, starting in Catalunya or we can modify the itinerary to fly into and back from any of the airports listed – the best options are:
- For Barcelona: Stansted, Manchester, Edinburgh & Dublin with Ryanair; Bristol, Luton, Belfast Gatwick with Easyjet; Manchester, Gatwick, Edinburgh with Vueling (and many other UK airports with various carriers – please call us for advice)
- For Girona – Ryanair from Stansted, Manchester, Luton, Glasgow, Dublin, Cork
- For Zaragoza – Ryanair from Stansted
- For Tarbes – Ryanair from Stansted
- For Perpignan – Ryanair from Stansted or Birmingham
NB: Flights are not included
For passengers travelling by air we will include a hire car as part of the package. Normally we include a 4 door economy class car but please let us know if you would like something different.
We will provide full instructions to arrive at each hotel, complete with GPS co-ords, as well as a touring map of the area
What our clients say
The landscape is sensational, and we combined driving the area with some quite long and exhilarating hikes. The hotels were very good, and we now have a good understanding of the ‘lie of the land’ of the region and will return, next time to concentrate more intimately on those national parks.
– client 2017
Outstanding planning. The tour was exactly what we wanted and exceptional hotels.
I found the advice on places to visit in each area invaluable.
Drive time was perfect, allowing for relaxed site seeing
– client 2016
The location was fabulous with great walks right on location and a fascinating history to the hotel itself.
– client 2016
The welcome we received at one of the hotels was astonishing. It was an amazing introduction to Aragon. The food was superb and the chef engaging and happy to chat.
– client 2016
We really enjoyed trying out the new Pyrenees route!
– client 2014
We are still in love with Spain and reckon that we will return before too long
– client 2014