Mar y Montaña NC4
Natural highlights of Cantabria & Asturias
Based on 7 nights self-drive independent tour in Spain
A short tour taking in the best of Cantabria & Asturias where the Picos de Europa mountains come down to meet the sea. Discover the lovely seaside villages of Santillana del Mar, Comillas & Lastres, to name but a few, and the medieval charms of Potes nestling in the Liebana valley. Take a trip to Santander, Oviedo or even Bilbao, get out and get active in the mountains or the surf-washed beaches, or just relax and enjoy the breathtaking scenery…
- Tour Highlights:
- Two faces of the Picos de Europa
- Medieval Santillana & the Cantabrian coast
- Dinosaur coast – Jurassic Museum & fossil footprints
- Seaside charm; Comillas, San Vicente & Lastres
- Santander, the city on the bay & Oviedo with its pre-romanesque architecture
* Indicative mid-season price for 7 nights (including car hire – flights not included). Ferry-drive based on 2 people from £800 p.p. for 7 nights.
Day 1 & 2 – Asturias: Picos & Dinosaur Coast
- Picos de Europa soaring directly above the coast
- Mirador del Fito – the best view of the Picos & the coast
- Jurassic footprints by the beaches
- Canoe down the Sella or get out on a fishing boat
- Oviedo’s fine Pre-Romanesque architecture
Day 3 & 4 – Picos de Europa – Liebana Valley
- Breathtaking mountain scenery, walks & activities for all
- Wildlife, butterflies to birds of prey, bears too!
- Make a pilgrimage to Santo Toribio
- Cable car at Fuente De whisks you up to 1800m
- Medieval Potes, historic yet full of life
- Local mountain gastronomy, cider & orujo
Days 5 to 7 – Western Cantabria
- San Vicente, Comillas or Santillana del Mar, historic seaside villages
- Sandy beaches and craggy protected coves
- Carmona, Barcena Mayor in the beautiful valleys
- World heritage cave paintings at Altamira
- Wonderful walks along the coast or in the rolling hills
The itinerary includes the following:
- Accommodation in our listed hotels – 2 sharing 1 std. double ensuite, B&B
- Economy 4dr car hire
- or ferry crossings with Brittany Ferries (car + 2 berth interior cabin)
- Guide book to Northern Spain
- Restaurant guide covering regions en-route
- Instructions to find all accommodation & regional road map
- Flights – but we are able to advise
- One-way car hire charges, where applicable (see your quote email)
- The following car hire extras – these can be added at pick-up point
- extra driver
- child seats
- Garage parking where applicable (mostly city stops) – please ask us about parking charges
A circular route, this itinerary has excellent access by air and sea:
- Connections from-to:
- Stansted: Santander with Ryanair / Bilbao with Easyjet
- Gatwick: Bilbao or Asturias with Vueling – BA
- Dublin: Santander with Ryanair / Bilbao with Aer Lingus
- Bristol: Bilbao with Easyjet
- Manchester: Bilbao with Easyjet
- Edinburgh; Santander with Ryanair / Bilbao with Easyjet
- Ferries Portsmouth or Plymouth: Santander or Bilbao– 7 sailings weekly. We can include the ferry crossings as part of the package
For passengers travelling by air we will include a hire car as part of the package. Normally we include a 4 door economy class car but please let us know if you would like something different.
For those coming on the ferry you will use your own vehicle but in either case we will provide full instructions to arrive at each hotel, complete with GPS, as well as a map of the area
The scenery in Northern Spain is stunning and with good road links between our hotels, we where able to visit many of the recommended places of interest during our holiday. The itinerary and hotels where spot on and we can’t wait to visit this beautiful part of the world again, with Casas Cantabricas planning another touring holiday for us.
Excellent customer service, provided a personalised itinerary with delightful historic properties to stay in. Loved the Vamoos travel app with all our travel arrangements, and guides to the different regions we where visiting.
Thank you Casas Cantabricas for a perfect holiday.
A well balanced holiday with good variety of mountains and historic villages.
Everything was exactly as described. Hotels were very good, with helpful staff. Directions to get to the hotels with one exception were accurate and helpful. Altogether a well presented service and certainly would recommend Casa Cantabricas for anyone wanting to experience Northern Spain.
We loved every minute of the holiday the three places we stayed were perfect, spotlessly clean,very welcoming and good food. The flowers and scenery were better than I had expected and the sea food at Tazones and San Vincent de la Barquera were excellent. We covered 1,100klma so saw a lot of the place it was just so unspoilt.
Beautiful scenery both in the beaches and in the hills of this stunning area of Northern Spain
Very efficient service and cabin upgrade arranged during holiday. Three centred holiday went without a hitch.
Stopped in lovely hotels and saw a huge variety of places which we thoroughly enjoyed.
Knowledgeable, friendly personal service.
Enjoyed the regions in respect of scenery, dining and people. Would certainly recommend both the area and Casas Cantabricas.
– client 2017
We had a brilliant week in northern Spain, discovering an area previously unknown to us and a world away from the Costas and heavily developed islands.
– client 2017
A wonderful way of seeing different regions of northern Spain.
What a great holiday. This area of Northern Spain, Cantabria and Asturias, was unexpectedly beautiful and easy to drive around. Anyone we met was pleasant and welcoming, the food and wine very good and relatively inexpensive.