Family-run Posada / Guest house
HLEO4, San Esteban de Valdueza, Madrid and Inland Spain
Country hotel among the mountains
A typical 'Bierzano' stone building recently converted into a comfortable, charming small hotel by the owners who also run the village's popular 'Mesón' restaurant.
In an idyllic situation at the entrance to the Valle del Silencio the hotel is the perfect base to discover the main highlights of El Bierzo; Las Medulas, Villafranca, Ponferrada with its Knights Templar castle, Peñalba de Santiago and the Camino de Santiago – but you might just be tempted to stay put and soak in the scenery…
10 double rooms, of which 2 superior and 1 junior suite.
All rooms have en-suite bathrooms, central heating, TV and WiFi connection (limited velocity).
Superior rooms are larger and have a jacuzzi bathtub. the junior suite has a high, vaulted ceiling and gallery window.
The hotel has one room prepared for the disabled – please enquire for more details.
Lounge area for guests
Terrace for sitting out
Popular country style restaurant offering typical El Bierzo cuisine including char-grilled meats, peppers and embutidos (charcuterie), trout and local wines.
Nice terrace at the rear.
Breakfast served in the hotel.
Hotel FacilitiesWiFi all areas
Shared Lounge / TV Area
No smoking in hotel
Sports and WellbeingBicycle hire
Room facilities (all rooms)En-suite bathroom
Fridge / Minibar
Shower over bathtub
DiningRestaurant, open to the public
Bar with terrace, open to the public, serving drinks and light snacks
AccessibilityFacilities adapted for guests with reduced mobility
Room(s) adapted for guests with reduced mobility
San Esteban de Valdueza, Madrid and Inland Spain
At the entrance to the magical Valle del Silencio, at the heart of the El Bierzo region, San Esteban de Valdueza is the perfect base to visit Las Médulas and the castle of the Knights Templar at Ponferrada.
The village itself, on the banks of the Rio Oza and surrounded by vertiginous mountains, offers peace and tranquillity with wonderful walking direct from the door.
Not to be missed is the trip up to Peñalba de Santiago at the top of the valley, the true essence of El Bierzo, untouched by the passage of time.
- There's just one restaurant in the village 'Mesón el Nogal' but people travel from miles around to eat there.Visit Peñalba de Santiago
- Walking in the Montes de Valdueza
- Las Médulas – unique red landscape sculpted by Roman gold mining
- Castle of the Knights Templar in Ponferrada
- El Bierzo and the Camino de Santiago
- Astorga – Gaudi architecture & Maragato culture
- Discover the full-bodied wines of El Bierzo
- Villafranca del Bierzo – 'the little Santiago'
- Rich local gastronomy -peppers, botilla, cecina…
- Mushroom hunting, trout fishing, cycling….