3-star Hotel / Parador
HMIN2, Vila de Punhe, Portugal
Manor house with pool, surrounded by vineyards near coast
As you come up the long vine-covered cobblestone drive to this grand C17th manor house, home to to the Abreu Teixeira family for the last three hundred years, you immediately feel a certain magic, the pull of the past…
Surrounded by vineyards and woodlands, the delightful grounds with courtyards, lawns, shrubberies, and a lovely pool area create a feeling of total relaxation and serenity. No better place to read a good book or wander in the woods!
Its charming and enthusiastic owners, Joao and Ana, transformed the old farm buildings on the estate into cosy traditional cottages and then with flair and imagination added two more very modern minimalist properties – very chic – all blending in happily with the lush vegetation. All are presented with style and with your comfort and privacy in mind.
Although not a hotel in the traditional sense, you have excellent facilities here, and the added bonus of being with a family and their very helpful and attentive staff, who will give you a very warm welcome and make sure your stay is a memorable one in every way.
There are seven separate cottages on the estate – some for 2 people some for 4 people – four are in the traditional style, one is part of the main house and two are modern apartments, quite minimalist in style. All have their own private sitting out areas. All have either a terrace or a porch.
Each cottage has a comfortable sitting area with sofa-bed, en-suite bathroom (some have baths, some shower units), central heating, air conditioning, towel heater, hair dryer, equipped kitchenette (except for Vine Cottage* which has a fridge and microwave only), LCD TV (satellite) + CD / DVD , free WIFI and high quality bedlinen.
Lovely chlorine-free outdoor pool with sun loungers – pool/beach towels are provided. Sun terrace and gardens with BBQ facilities.
40,000 square metres of forest belonging to the estate, great for walking.
In the main building there is a comfortable living room with a fireplace and music where you can enjoy a cup of tea or glass of wine and delightful view over the gardens.
There is a reception area with a small shop selling wine, local honey, handmade soap and other local products, plus information about things to do in the area.
The owners and staff can help organise activities and trips to the natural park of the Serra D'Arga and National Park of Peneda Geres.
There is WIFI connection throughout the hotel.
Relaxing massages, by arrangement, in the comfort of your room.
Bicycles for hire, for exploring the surrounding area.
Though there's no restaurant here, or common dining room as such, the breakfast, brought to the room, is excellent and evening meals can also be arranged. A refreshing break from hotel life without any shopping or cooking!
On arrival you will find milk in the fridge, as well as coffee, sugar and teas in your cottage.
A Breakfast basket comes to your cottage door each morning. It includes fresh bread, butter, cheese, cold meats, yogurt, cereals, home-made jam, honey, fruit and juice (fresh orange juice only in season).
Though other meals are not served, the Quinta sells high quality pre-prepared meals which you can heat up in your cottage. The owners and staff will also be more than happy to suggest good eating options nearby.
Hotel FacilitiesTour Booking Service
WiFi all areas
No smoking in hotel
Sports and WellbeingSwimming Pool (outdoor, all year)
Room facilities (all rooms)En-suite bathroom
Fridge / Minibar
Shower over bathtub
Packed lunch service
AccessibilityNot suitable for guests with reduced mobility
ParkingOn-site parking (free)
Vila de Punhe, Viana do Castelo, Portugal
Vila de Punhe, a sizeable village set in vineyards and woods, lies ten kilometres southeast of the beautiful historic coastal town of Viana do Castelo in the delightful Minho region of Northern Portugal.
While the village only has a small cafeteria, there are bars, restaurants and shops in the neighbouring villages.
The fantastic beach of Cabadelo, great for windsurfing and kitesurfing, just south of Viana is a ten minute drive with many more enticing beaches a little further.
You are very well placed here for exploring all the delights the Minho has to offer from its historic towns full of culture, its crystalline rivers, ancient footpaths, vinho verde wineries, manor houses, fabulous natural parks, colourful markets or just get off the beaten track and drive along little country roads and be surprised by a lively village fiesta!
- The imposing fishing port and historic town and summer resort of Viana do Castelo with the Basilica of Santa Luzia perched above with amazing views of the coastline, best reached by cable car.
- Graceful and delightful Ponte de Lima with its Roman bridge.
- The pretty old towns of Arcos de Valdevez and Ponte da Barca. Don’t miss out on Bar Delfim in Arcos de Valdevez – a museum piece in itself with Delfim’s life long collection of accordions and other curiousities. If you are lucky, you might meet the master player there himself.
- The delightful , ancient town of Barcelos on the River Cavado, home to the national icon – the Portuguese cockerel . Particularly lively and atmospheric on Thursday market day – the oldest and largest market in the Minho – great for locally made pottery and other local handicrafts.
- Beautiful sandy, windswept beaches within a 15 minute drive – great for surfing and windsurfing! Afife, Carreco, Cabadelo, Paco…Also the fluvial beach at Viana.
- Cycle or walk the lovely Ecovia along the river Lima from Ponte da Barca and Ponte de Lima to Viana.
- Three golf courses nearby at Ponte de Lima, Estela and Fao.
- Walk in the estate's fantastic woodlands or sample part of the Camino de Santiago straight from your door.
- Rafting on the Minho River and canoeing on the Lima.
- Excursions into the natural park of the Serra D'Arga and the Peneda Geres national park.
- Follow the Vinho verde wine route visiting the famous wineries. Combine this with a visit of the Minho manor houses.
- Enjoy the tempting local gastronomy at the region's many local restaurants.