Natural highlights of Cantabria & Asturias
Based on 7 nights self-drive independent tour in Spain
A short tour taking in the best of Cantabria & Asturias where the Picos de Europa mountains come down to meet the sea. Discover the lovely seaside villages of Santillana del Mar, Comillas & Lastres, to name but a few, and the medieval charms of Potes nestling in the Liebana valley. Take a trip to Santander, Oviedo or even Bilbao, get out and get active in the mountains or the surf-washed beaches, or just relax and enjoy the breathtaking scenery…
- Two faces of the Picos de Europa
- Medieval Santillana & the Cantabrian coast
- Dinosaur coast – Jurassic Museum & fossil footprints
- Seaside charm; Comillas, San Vicente & Lastres
- Santander, the city on the bay & Oviedo with its pre-romanesque architecture
Day 1 & 2 – Asturias: Picos & Dinosaur Coast
- Picos de Europa soaring directly above the coast
- Mirador del Fito – the best view of the Picos & the coast
- Jurassic footprints by the beaches
- Canoe down the Sella or get out on a fishing boat
- Oviedo’s fine Pre-Romanesque architecture
Day 3 & 4 – Picos de Europa – Liebana Valley
- Breathtaking mountain scenery, walks & activities for all
- Wildlife, butterflies to birds of prey, bears too!
- Make a pilgrimage to Santo Toribio
- Cable car at Fuente De whisks you up to 1800m
- Medieval Potes, historic yet full of life
- Local mountain gastronomy, cider & orujo
Days 5 to 7 – Western Cantabria
- San Vicente, Comillas or Santillana del Mar, historic seaside villages
- Sandy beaches and craggy protected coves
- Carmona, Barcena Mayor in the beautiful valleys
- World heritage cave paintings at Altamira
- Wonderful walks along the coast or in the rolling hills
The itinerary includes the following:
- Accommodation in our listed hotels – 2 sharing 1 std. double ensuite, B&B
- Economy 4dr car hire
- or ferry crossings with Brittany Ferries (car + 2 berth interior cabin)
- Guide book to Northern Spain
- Restaurant guide covering regions en-route
- Instructions to find all accommodation & regional road map
- Flights – but we are able to advise
- One-way car hire charges, where applicable (see your quote email)
- The following car hire extras – these can be added at pick-up point
- extra driver
- child seats
- Garage parking where applicable (mostly city stops) – please ask us about parking charges
A circular route, this itinerary has excellent access by air and sea:
- Connections from-to:
- Stansted: Santander with Ryanair / Bilbao with Easyjet
- Gatwick: Bilbao or Asturias with Vueling – BA
- Dublin: Santander with Ryanair / Bilbao with Aer Lingus
- Bristol: Bilbao with Easyjet
- Manchester: Bilbao with Easyjet
- Edinburgh; Santander with Ryanair / Bilbao with Easyjet
- Ferries Portsmouth or Plymouth: Santander or Bilbao – 7 sailings weekly. We can include the ferry crossings as part of the package
For passengers travelling by air we will include a hire car as part of the package. Normally we include a 4 door economy class car but please let us know if you would like something different.
For those coming on the ferry you will use your own vehicle but in either case we will provide full instructions to arrive at each hotel, complete with GPS, as well as a map of the area
What our clients say
Stopped in lovely hotels and saw a huge variety of places which we thoroughly enjoyed.
– client 2018
Knowledgeable, friendly personal service.
Enjoyed the regions in respect of scenery, dining and people. Would certainly recommend both the area and Casas Cantabricas.
– client 2017
We had a brilliant week in northern Spain, discovering an area previously unknown to us and a world away from the Costas and heavily developed islands.
– client 2017
A wonderful way of seeing different regions of northern Spain.
What a great holiday. This area of Northern Spain, Cantabria and Asturias, was unexpectedly beautiful and easy to drive around. Anyone we met was pleasant and welcoming, the food and wine very good and relatively inexpensive.
The hotels were comfortable and very beautiful and the staff very friendly and helpful at all times.
– client 2016
Absolutely fantastic holiday in Northern Spain couldn’t have gone better.
Loveliest holiday on every count. Brilliant hotels will recommend to friends.
Couldn’t enthuse more about it.
– client 2013