Madrid – Porto – Santiago PO5
From Madrid via North Portugal to Santiago
Based on 14 nights self-drive independent tour in Portugal and Spain
Discover two countries in one trip.Take in the charms and highlights of Northern Portugal combined with some of Spain’s grandest cities.
Start in Madrid, Spain’s elegant, lively capital, then head west to Salamanca, the country’s oldest and grandest University city. Discover the Douro valley, the world’s oldest wine region, and the charms of Porto on the Atlantic coast before heading north and finishing like a pilgrim in historic Santiago de Compostela.
Return to Madrid on the fast train or internal flight, or drop the car and head straight back to the UK from Santiago.
The full route takes fourteen days but you can do as little, or as much, as you like.
- Tour Highlights:
- World class wines and gastronomy
- Monumental university city of Salamanca
- Historic Porto and its charming old quarters
- Santiago de Compostela – St James’ resting place
- Madrid, Spain’s elegant capital
- The Camino Portugues – St James’ Way
- Atlantic coast – wild and windswept
* Indicative prices (including car hire – flights not included).
Day 1 & 2 – Madrid
- Grand and elegant capital of Spain
- Take a stroll in its manicured parks, Buen Retiro
- Rich in European art
- Prado Museum’s works by Picasso, Goya, Velazquez and other Spanish masters
- Plaza Mayor, Madrid’s vibrant main square
- Famous Spanish gastronomy, wine and atmosphere
Day 3 & 4 – Salamanca
- Salamanca – truly monumental university city
- Toro, Rueda & Sierra de Salamanca wines
- Delicious jamon from Guijuelo
- Historic Tordesillas, Toro & Zamora
- Cruise on the river in the Arribes del Duero Nature Park
- Sierra de Francia & villages of Las Batuecas
Day 5 & 6 – Douro Valley & Amarante
- Fabulous Douro scenery – unforgettable boat trips
- World Heritage Douro vineyards, the World’s oldest!
- Romantic Amarante on the River Tamega
- Lamego – famous stairs of Nossa Senhora dos Remedios
- Superb gastronomy in the atmospheric “adegas” taverns
Days 7 to 9 – Porto
- Ribeira, Porto’s fascinating historic centre, a World Heritage site
- Cross the impressive Dom Luis I iron bridge to the Port Wine Lodges
- Art for all from finest museums to simple galleries
- Walk the lanes, sail the river, live and breathe Porto
- Ferry to Afurada and the golden beach of Estrela
Day 10 & 11 – Viana do Castelo and Minho Coast
- Imposing Viana do Castelo with its long surfy windswept Atlantic coastline
- Delightful towns and villages along the river Minho
- Historic step in the Portuguese pilgrim way to Santiago de Compostela
- Graceful Ponte de Lima with its Roman bridge
- Sample the Vinho Verde wine and hearty local fare
Days 12 to 14 – Santiago de Compostela
- Journey’s end, for centuries Europe’s most important pilgrim destination
- World heritage city centred around the magnificent Cathedral, said to house the bones of St James
- Guided walking tour, there’s so much to discover
- Lively bar scene, great tapas and young Ribeiro wine, or if you prefer, a drop of Albariño.
The itinerary includes the following:
- Accommodation in our listed hotels – 2 sharing 1 std. double ensuite, B&B
- Economy 4dr car hire
- Regional maps and guide books
- Instructions to find all accommodation & regional road map
- Flights – but we are able to advise
- One-way car hire charges, where applicable (see your quote email)
- The following car hire extras – these can be added at pick-up point
- extra driver
- child seats
- Garage parking where applicable (mostly city stops) – please ask us about parking charges
Fly directly to Madrid and hire a car – the best options are:
- London Gatwick: with Easyjet
- London Heathrow: with BA
- London Stansted: with Ryanair
- Edinburgh: with Easyjet
- Liverpool: with Easyjet
- Manchester: with Ryanair
- Birmingham: with Easyjet
- Luton: with Easyjet
- Bristol: with Easyjet
- Dublin: with Ryanair or Aer Lingus
Fly directly to Galicia (Santiago de Compostela, A Coruña or Vigo) and hire a car – the best options are:
- Heathrow to A Coruña with Vueling
- Gatwick: to Santiago with Easyjet
- Stansted: to Santiago or Vigo with Ryanair
- Dublin: to Vigo with Ryanair and Santiago with Aer Lingus
PLEASE NOTE some flights are seasonal.
NB: Flights are not included
As part of your package we will include a hire car. Normally we include a 4 door economy class car but please let us know if you would like something different.
Hire cars normally need to be dropped back to the country of origen (Madrid or Santiago in Spain or Porto in Portugal if you choose to change the order of this route).
Was better than expected. Well organised and very helpful support.