Camino Portugues, Porto to Santiago Tour PO3
Porto to Santiago by the coastal route
Based on 10 nights self-drive independent tour in Portugal
Combine the gentle charms of northern Portugal with the drama of the Galician Rias Bajas, monumental Santiago de Compostela, with time to explore the wild Atlantic coast. Discover two countries in one trip: so much in common and yet so different.
From start to finish you’ll find striking scenery, wonderful walking, delicious local gastronomy and world-class wines; fascinating historic towns and cities to discover, as well as the legacy of centuries of pilgrimage.
Start and finish in Porto or Santiago, stops are interleaved to avoid long drives. The full route takes ten days but you can do as little, or as much, as you like.
- Tour Highlights:
- Follow the Camino Portugues – St James’ Way – heritage, coast and countryside
- World class wines – Port, Douro, Vinho Verde, Albariño
- Historic Porto’s charming wine lodges
- Monumental Santiago de Compostela
- Braga, Guimaraes, Viana, Pontevedra, Tui, Cambados – strung like pearls along the way…
Indicative mid-season price for 10 nights (including car hire – flights not included).
Day 1 & 2 – Porto
- Ribeira, Porto’s fascinating historic centre, a World Heritage site
- Cross the impressive Dom Luis I iron bridge to the Port Wine Lodges
- Art for all from finest museums to simple galleries
- Walk the lanes, sail the river, live and breathe Porto
- Ferry to Afurada and the golden beach of Estrela
Day 3 & 4 – Viana do Castelo and Minho Coast
- Imposing Viana do Castelo with its long surfy windswept Atlantic coastline
- Delightful towns and villages along the river Minho
- Historic step in the Portuguese Santiago pilgrim way
- Graceful Ponte de Lima with its Roman bridge
- Sample the Vinho Verde wine and hearty local fare
Days 5 & 6 – Santiago de Compostela
- Journey’s end, for centuries Europe’s most important pilgrim destination
- World heritage city centred around the magnificent Cathedral, said to house the bones of St James
- Guided walking tour, there’s so much to discover
- Lively bar scene, great tapas and young Ribeiro wine, or if you prefer, a drop of Albariño.
Day 7 & 8 – Rias Bajas
- Feast on delicious shellfish, locally farmed
- Take a trip to the idylic islands of Cies & Ons
- Unspoilt Atlantic beaches
- Lively Vigo, Europe’s largest fishing port
- Cambados, at the heart of the Albariño wine region
- Santa Tecla, ancient Celtic ruins, amazing views!
Day 9 & 10 – Braga / Guimaraes (Inner Minho)
- Stunning Guimaraes – World Heritage Site, full of culture and art
- Historic Braga with Portugal’s oldest Cathedral
- Bom Jesus del Monte with its famous baroque staircase
- Lively Barcelos – oldest market in the north, a must!
- Celtic Citania de Briteiros, 2500 years of history
The itinerary includes the following:
- Accommodation in our listed hotels – 2 sharing 1 std. double ensuite, B&B
- Economy 4dr car hire
- Regional map and guide book
- Instructions to find all accommodation & regional road map
- Flights – but we are able to advise
- One-way car hire charges, where applicable (see your quote email)
- The following car hire extras – these can be added at pick-up point
- extra driver
- child seats
- Garage parking where applicable (mostly city stops) – please ask us about parking charges
Fly directly to Oporto / Porto and hire a car – the best options are:
From London Gatwick: TAP Portugal or Easyjet
From London Stansted: Ryanair
From London Heathrow: British Airways
From Edinburgh: Ryanair
From Liverpool: Ryanair
From Manchester: Easyjet, TAP or Ryanair
From Birmingham: Ryanair
From Luton: Easyjet
From Bristol: Easyjet
From Dublin: Ryanair and TAP
Or start from Santiago flying direct to Galicia. The best options are:
From Heathrow to A Coruña with Vueling
From Gatwick to Santiago with Easyjet
From Stansted to Vigo or Santiago with Ryanair
From Dublin to Santiago with Aer Lingus and Vigo with Ryanair
Alternatively you could fly to Lisbon (3 hours drive)
PLEASE NOTE some flights are seasonal.
NB: Flights are not included
As part of your package we will include a hire car. Normally we include a 4 door economy class car but please let us know if you would like something different.
Hire cars normally need to be dropped back to the country of origen (Santiago or Porto in this case). We have therefore designed the route as an interleaved out-and-back itinerary to avoid long drives.
Excellent. Eye-opening tour of Northern Portugal and Spain.