Taste of the North NC3
Bilbao – La Rioja – Coastal Cantabria Tour
Based on 7 nights self-drive independent tour in Spain
Wherever you go in Northern Spain you’re in for a gastronomic treat, from the famous ‘Cocina Vasca’ to the first class seafood of Galicia, accompanied by world class wines from La Rioja to Albariño. Here we offer some of the highlights in a route full of contrasts yet without a lot of driving.
And it’s not all about the food – here you’ll find dramatic mountain scenery, fantastic beaches and a wealth of art and architecture, not least in Frank Gehry’s famous Guggenheim Museum.
- Tour Highlights:
- Bilbao, the ‘Phoenix City’
- The great wines of La Rioja
- Architecture ancient & modern
- Relax in the beaches & valleys of coastal Cantabria
- Wonderful gastronomy throughout
- Short drives – big contrasts!
* Indicative mid season price for 7 nights (including car hire – flights not included). Ferry-drive based on 2 people from £850 p.p. for 14 nights.
Day 1 & 2 – Bilbao & the Basque Country
- Frank Gehry’s Guggenheim & its sister the Bellas Artes
- Basque cuisine, pintxos or something more substantial
- Basque coast, lovely beaches, spectacular rock formations
- Head for the hills, great walking just near the city
- Visit San Sebastian, Belle Epoque elegance by the sea
Day 3 & 4 – La Rioja Alavesa
- Spain’s most prestigious vineyards
- Riojan & Basque cuisine – excellent local ingredients
- Stunning modern architecture among the vines
- Medieval Laguardia and Labastida
- Dinastia Vivanco museum of wine culture
Days 5 to 7 – Western Cantabria
- Historic seaside towns of San Vicente, Comillas or Santillana del Mar
- Sandy beaches and craggy protected coves
- Carmona, Barcena Mayor in the beautiful valleys
- Prehistoric cave paintings at Altamira and many more
- Wonderful walks along the coast or in the rolling hills
The itinerary includes the following:
- Accommodation in our listed hotels – 2 sharing 1 std. double ensuite, B&B
- Economy 4dr car hire
- or ferry crossings with Brittany Ferries (car + 2 berth interior cabin)
- Guide book to Northern Spain
- Restaurant guide covering regions en-route
- Instructions to find all accommodation & regional road map
- Flights – but we are able to advise
- One-way car hire charges, where applicable (see your quote email)
- The following car hire extras – these can be added at pick-up point
- extra driver
- child seats
- Garage parking where applicable (mostly city stops) – please ask us about parking charges
A circular route, this itinerary has excellent access by air and sea:
- Connections from-to:
- Stansted: Santander with Ryanair / Bilbao with Easyjet / Biarritz with Ryanair
- Gatwick: Bilbao with Vueling-BA
- Dublin: Santander with Ryanair / Bilbao with Aer Lingus
- Manchester: Bilbao with Easyjet
- Bristol: Bilbao with Easyjet
- Edinburgh; Santander with Ryanair / Bilbao with Easyjet
- Ferries Portsmouth or Plymouth: Santander or Bilbao – 7 sailings weekly. We can include the ferry crossings as part of the package
For passengers travelling by air we will include a hire car as part of the package. Normally we include a 4 door economy class car but please let us know if you would like something different.
For those coming on the ferry you will use your own vehicle but in either case we will provide full instructions to arrive at each hotel, complete with GPS, as well as a map of the area
I was extremely pleased with our recent Taste of the North Spain trip. The documentation, local information, hotels and general service were all excellent.
A fantastic holiday in 3 different areas. Bilbao was a nice city for a bit of culture. The castle hotel was more than we could have hoped for. The cobbled streets of Santillana del Mar were picturesque.
All the recommended sights were good suggestions. A perfect holiday, off the beaten track.
Excellent detailed arrangements and directions throughout the tour which was put together according to our wishes. Hotels were well chosen in areas that were away from the tourist trail and allowed the chance to see both the countryside and rural life. A thoroughly enjoyable experience.
Easy to contact with quick response to any question. Provided ample information and expertise.
A fantastic holiday in 3 different areas… All the recommended sights were good suggestions.A perfect holiday, off the beaten track.
Casas Cantabrica were very helpful throughout. … lots of information, including road maps, guide books were sent as soon as we had booked …. We had absolute confidence that they would be available if we should need them.
The three hotels we stayed in were all excellent and the car hire experience worked perfectly with no nasty surprises at the end. We thought about organising the trip ourselves but we’d never have found hotels like the three we stayed in
The supporting documentation was outstanding- including itineraries, a guide book, a map and the App containing all the info we needed.
We would not have found these places on our own.
All went brilliantly, could not fault it.