Minho Coast – Porto – Douro Valley Tour
Based on 7 nights self-drive independent tour in Portugal
Discover the charms of Northern Portugal: the wild Atlantic coastline, world famous wines, the stunning scenery of the ancient Douro vineyards and the enchanting cities of Porto, Viana do Castelo, Braga and Guimaraes – all in a one week tour!
Brim-full of culture, art and history, including four Unesco World Heritage sites, the region is also blessed with a multitude of historic manor houses and mansions dotted amongst the vineyards and well-preserved old towns.
Enjoy the fantastic Port wines but don’t miss the wonderful table wines the north of Portugal now produces, both in the Douro and Vinho Verde regions. Wherever you go you’ll find hearty local gastronomy and warm hospitality.
- Delightful fortress towns of Valença, Monção and Melgaço along the Minho
- Port wines, Vinho Verde, Vinho del Douro and superb gastronomy
- Guimaraes, a World Heritage Site, full of culture and art
- Historic Braga with the oldest Cathedral in Portugal
- Porto with its World Heritage Site awarded Old Town
- Famous Port Wine Lodges, just across the impressive Dom Luis I bridge
Day 1 & 2 – Porto
- Ribeira, Porto’s fascinating historic centre, a World Heritage site
- Cross the impressive Dom Luis I iron bridge to the Port Wine Lodges
- Art for all from finest museums to simple galleries
- Walk the lanes, sail the river, live and breathe Porto
- Ferry to Afurada and the golden beach of Estrela
Day 3 & 4 – Minho Costa
- Delightful Caminha and the fortress towns of Valença, Monção and Melgaço, dotted along the river Minho
- Historic step in the Portuguese Santiago pilgrim way
- Imposing Viana do Castelo with its long surfy windswept Atlantic coastline
- Graceful Ponte de Lima with its Roman bridge
- Sample the Vinho Verde wine and hearty local fare
Days 5 to 7 – Douro Valley
- Fabulous Douro scenery – take an unforgettable boat trip
- World Heritage Douro vineyards, the World’s oldest!
- Romantic Amarante on the River Tamega
- Lamego – famous stairs of Nossa Senhora dos Remedios
- Superb gastronomy in the atmospheric “adegas” taverns
The itinerary includes the following:
- Accommodation in our listed hotels – 2 sharing 1 std. double ensuite, B&B
- Economy 4dr car hire
- Regional map and guide book
- Instructions to find all accommodation & regional road map
- Flights – but we are able to advise
- One-way car hire charges, where applicable (see your quote email)
- The following car hire extras – these can be added at pick-up point
- extra driver
- Portuguese toll device (we highly recommend to take this service)
- child seats
- Garage parking where applicable (mostly city stops) – please ask us about parking charges
Fly directly to Porto and hire a car – the best options are:
- From London Gatwick: TAP Portugal or Easyjet
- From London Stansted: Ryanair
- From London Heathrow: British Airways
- From Edinburgh: Ryanair
- From Liverpool: Ryanair
- From Manchester: Easyjet, TAP or Easyjet
- From Birmingham: Ryanair
- From Luton: Easyjet
- From Bristol: Easyjet
- From Dublin: Ryanair and TAP
PLEASE NOTE some flights are seasonal.
NB: Flights are not included
Alternatively you could fly to Lisbon (3 hours drive) or Santiago de Compostela in Spain (2hrs 30mins drive).
As part of your package we will include a hire car. Normally we include a 4 door economy class car but please let us know if you would like something different.
What our clients say
We loved touring round this green and lush part of Portugal being able to make our own daily itinerary. The chosen pre-booked accommodation was fabulous in every case. Unusual pousadas, quintas and medieval city hotels that we probably would not have discovered on our own.
Caminos were very good, taking a personal interest in us and our booking and communicating well with us both before the holiday and during. The Vamoos Travel app was a great idea, which enabled us to have all the holiday information and bookings readily available on our phones / iPads.