Premier Tour of Northern Spain NC6A
North coast, Picos de Europa & the interior
Based on 10 nights premier self-drive tour - specially suitable for groups
A premier circular route following the northern Spain´s historic pilgrim paths around the Picos de Europa National Park. You’ll find surf washed beaches and high arid plains, Cathedral cities and tiny villages lost in time, lofty snow-capped mountains and soft rolling hills – the stark contrasts which make touring in northern Spain so exciting!
Designed particularly with clubs and groups in mind, but equally suited for the discerning independent traveller, this tour features premier hotels with better lounge & parking facilities and includes dinner on arrival at each stage.
Constant throughout are a sense of tradition, superb food & wine and a friendly welcome wherever you go.
Bring your own vintage, collector’s or classic car and cruise down to Spain in style for a superb driving holiday!
The full tour takes ten nights but you can do as little, or as much, as you like.
- Tour Highlights:
- The ways of St James, steeped in history
- Rolls Royce Museum at Torre Loizaga
- Monumental Leon; Cathedral & San Marcos
- Burgos with its awesome Cathedral, Atapuerca & the Museum of Human Evolution
- Spain’s best surf-washed beaches
- Lofty peaks, high plains, verdant hills
- World class food & great wines, a tapestry of regional tastes
- Fly or Ferry – the choice is yours
*Indicative mid-season price for 10 nights (including car hire – flights not included). Ferry-drive based on 2 people from £1600 p.p. for 10 nights.
Day 1 & 2 – Western Cantabria
- Historic seaside towns of San Vicente, Comillas or Santillana del Mar
- Sandy beaches and craggy protected coves
- Carmona, Barcena Mayor in the beautiful valleys
- Prehistoric cave paintings at Altamira and many more
- Wonderful walks along the coast or in the rolling hills
Day 3 & 4 – Asturias: Picos & Dinosaur Coast
- Picos de Europa soaring directly above the coast
- The Spanish Cornwall? Cider country
- Beautiful beaches with Jurassic footprints
- Canoe down the Sella or get out on a fishing boat
- Oviedo’s fine Pre-Romanesque architecture
Day 5 & 6 – León
- Santa Maria Cathedral. Gothic style with stunning stained glass
- Founded in 29 BC. Europe’s first parliament city
- Tapas & fine dining in ‘the wet zone’ in Leon old-town
- Monastery of San Marcos plateresque renaissance architecture
Day 7 & 8 – Burgos
- Essential stop on the Camino de Santiago
- Truly awesome cathedral, recently restored
- Bustling old town; lively bars & restaurants
- Spain’s best lamb & delicious black pudding
- Atapuerca & the Museum of Human Evolution
Day 9 & 10 – La Rioja
- Spain’s most prestigious vineyards
- Riojan & Basque cuisine – excellent local ingredients
- Stunning modern architecture among the vines
- Historic Haro, medieval Laguardia and Labastida
- Dinastia Vivanco museum of wine culture
The itinerary includes the following:
- Accommodation in our listed hotels – 2 sharing 1 std. double ensuite, B&B
- Evening meal on arrival at each stage
- Economy 4dr car hire
- or ferry crossings with Brittany Ferries (car + 2 berth interior cabin)
- Guide book to Northern Spain
- Restaurant guide covering regions en-route
- Instructions to find all accommodation & regional road map
- Flights – but we are able to advise
- One-way car hire charges, where applicable (see your quote email)
- The following car hire extras – these can be added at pick-up point
- extra driver
- child seats
- Garage parking where applicable (mostly city stops) – please ask us about parking charges
A premier circular route, this itinerary has excellent access by air and sea:
- Flight connections from-to:
- Stansted: Santander with Ryanair / Bilbao with Easyjet / Biarritz with Ryanair
- Gatwick: Bilbao with Vueling-BA
- Dublin: Santander with Ryanair / Bilbao with Aer Lingus
- Manchester: Bilbao with Easyjet
- Bristol: Bilbao with Easyjet
- Edinburgh; Santander with Ryanair / Bilbao with Easyjet
- Flight connections from-to:
- Ferry: if you wish to bring your own car, classic car or motorbike we can include the ferry crossings as part of the package
For passengers travelling by air we will include a hire car as part of the package. Normally we include a 4 door economy class car but please let us know if you would like something different.
For those coming on the ferry you will use your own vehicle but in either case we will provide full instructions to arrive at each hotel, complete with GPS, as well as a map of the area.
Casas sorted everything very well. I presented a route and plan for accommodation and they came back with the holiday. Everything then went to plan.
Everything worked as planned – brilliant. Great organisation, everything worked a treat and the Vamoos website was great to use with all the information in one place, brilliant.
Everything was spot on. The hotels were good with car parking. We have already recommended to friends Casas Cantabricas for a holiday to Northern Spain.
Very attentive to our needs and requirements, we were kept informed about what was happening both before and after we left. Lots of information about our destinations and support whilst we were away. Friendly and personal service.
Excellent customer service, provided a personalised itinerary with delightful historic properties to stay in. Loved the Vamoos travel app with all our travel arrangements, and guides to the different regions we were visiting. Thank you Casas Cantabricas for a perfect holiday.
Fantastic service from start to finish. The team was very helpful from the first point of contact and helped us shape our holiday to Northern Spain, creating the holiday we were looking for.
Brilliant. Everything: Excellent hotels with good locations, facilities and staff. Good suggestions about where to visit. Very useful advice in advance documentation that we could download – an excellent system. My wife does not eat gluten and was very impressed by the information passed to the hotels who provided appropriate food.
Could not be faulted. Excellent organisation, quick response, quality support information, rapid replies to questions. Hotels and travel plans were first class in all respects. We will most likely use them again and have already recommended them to friends. It was obvious that all destination hotels had been thoroughly checked out.