Family-run Posada / Guest house
HEVO3, Aldeia da Serra, Portugal
Charming country estate with pool in the Serra D’Ossa, heart of El Alentejo
In the heart of El Alentejo, in the foothills of the beautiful Serra D'Ossa with olive groves and vineyards all around, this elegant and charming country estate offers luxury accommodation in suites and a cottage, with a stunning swimming pool and delicious food.
An oasis in the middle of nature, a real place to unwind, the present owners, Christina and Joao, totally refurbished it in 2012. With a delightful central courtyard and traditional Alentejana architecture, they have added touches of Africa and the east to create a wonderful, artistic combination of all worlds. Comfort is the key word here, and peace and quiet reign. Whether you are sitting out in the covered lounge by the pool or nestling by the fire in the cooler months you will feel very much at home.
It's a short walk to the village of Aldeia da Serra where there are a couple of good restaurants, while the gentle Serra D'Ossa offers lovely walks, with a picnic lunch to order if required.
Nearby is the friendly and easy going town of Redondo, known for its pottery and wine. World Heritage Site Evora is a 30 minute drive, the "marble towns" of Estremoz, Borba and Vila Vicosa half that. A little further afield the fortress village of Monsaraz, the pottery town of Sao Pedro do Corval, rug-making Reguengos de Monsaraz and numerous wineries await.
There are 3 master suites, 2 junior suites, 1 family room and a one bedroom cottage, all on the ground floor.
All the rooms are spacious and stylish and different, and are named after wild flowers that grow on the estate. The decor is contemporary country style in relaxing tones, with emphasis placed on detail to comfort.
The Junior suites are 30m2 and the Master suites are 40 m2, They have en-suite bathrooms, double beds and a sofa bed in the living room (max 1 extra bed). They also have a minibar, hairdryer, bathrobes and slippers, pool towels, WIFI, tea and coffee making facilities, air conditioning, LCD satellite T.V, and access to the terrace with views of the mountains and olive groves.
The one bedroom cottage, 60 m2, has a double bedroom, a living room with a sofa bed, a bathroom, kitchenette and private terrace; facilities as the suites.
The family room, 40m2, has two bedrooms (one double/one twin, a bathroom shared between the two rooms and a terrace. It has the same facilities as the suites, but no sofa bed and no minibar.
Lovely swimming pool (heated in Spring and Autumn)
Breakfast/dining room with comfy sitting area and fireplace
Free covered parking
Cookery workshops, yoga and pilates
Hiking in the Serra D'Ossa with picnic lunch
Hot Air balloon tours
Delicious buffet breakfast with locally sourced produce in the breakfast room from 9.00 – 11.30 am. Don't forget to ask for the owners' own free range eggs!
Tempting light snacks available at the lounge by the pool.
Gourmet dinners (must be ordered in advance) cooked specially for you – Alentejo, Mediterranean and Thai cuisine. 25 – 35 euros per person.
Local restaurants in village (a short walk) – Chana do Bernardino recommended.
Hotel FacilitiesWiFi all areas
Shared Lounge / TV Area
Sports and WellbeingSwimming Pool (outdoor, all year)
Room facilities (all rooms)En-suite bathroom
Tea/Coffee making facilities
DiningRestaurant, open to the public
Poolside bar, for clients only serving drinks and light snacks
Packed lunch service
AccessibilityFacilities adapted for guests with reduced mobility
Room(s) adapted for guests with reduced mobility
ParkingOn-site parking (free)
PetsPets allowed by prior arrangement - please consult
Aldeia da Serra, Portugal
Aldeia da Serra is a sleepy, typical Alentejo village of whitewashed houses with blue trims in the beautiful, gently rolling countryside of Serra D'Ossa with its vines, cork forests and olive groves. Sheep and cattle graze happily whilst agricultural activities go on around them and several hiking routes are marked to take in the surrounding panorama.
On one of the wine routes "Rota dos Vinhos" of the Alentejo, the village boasts three very good restaurants serving wonderfully tasty and delicious regional food, but there are no other facilities.
The Anta de Candeeira dolmen is nearby and the impressive C12th Convento de Sao Paulo with its extraordinary collection of 54,000 decorative tiles, nestles secretly in the hills.
The friendly town of Redondo, well known for its pottery and wines is a ten minute drive, the lovely "marble" towns of Estremoz, Borba and Vila Vicosa a bit further and historic Evora with all its sights just forty minutes away.
- Visit the lovely, nearby "marble towns" of Estremoz, Borba and Vila Vicosa – all full of treasures.
- If timing is right, don't miss the amazing Saturday market at Estremoz – stalls selling everything from superb local cheeses to live chickens.
- Follow one of the Alentejo wine routes "Rotos do Vinho" stopping off at the many local wineries "Adegas" in the area (You usually need to make an appointment – your hotel or local tourist office can do this for you) to discover the fantastic wines of the Alentejo.
- Take one of the marked walks through the beautiful Serra D'Ossa.
- Buy colourful pottery at Sao Pedro do Corval and Redondo.
- Drive down to friendly Redondo, well known for its pottery and wine. Visit the Pottery museum there and track down ancient potter, Joao Mertola still painting his pots by hand. Visit the Museu do Barro (pottery museum ) there.
- Venture to the hilltop village of Monsaraz with all its history and spectacular views of the Alqueva reservoir, the largest in Europe. Take a boat trip on a C17th Dutch boat there.
- Go to Arraiolos to pick up a handwoven carpet – the village has been making rugs since C12th!
- View the plains from the C16th castle at Evoramonte.
- Visit historic Evora and Elvas.
- Feast on the most delicious regional food at the numerous family run restaurants.