Via de Plata Tour IC1
Asturias to Andalucia – the Roman Way
Based on 14 nights self-drive independent tour in Spain
Following the ancient, Via de Plata, trading route – literally the ‘Silver Path’ – this epic journey crosses Spain from north to south. Few tours offer such extreme contrasts, from the lush green valleys of Asturias to the arid plains and high sierras of Castilla-León and Extremadura, finally reaching the orange groves of Andalucia; from the bedrock of Christian Spain to the heart of the one-time sultanate, here you truly get a sense of Spain’s rich and turbulent history…
Due to Madrid´s multiple connections with the rest of the world, this tour can be adapted to include the Spanish capital as part of the package. Countless monuments, renowned museums, art galleries, theatres and a varied offer of good restaurants, lively bars and night clubs, you will definitely get amazed by its infinite charms. Don´t hesitate to consult us.
- Tour Highlights:
- Picos de Europa & the dramatic north coast
- León & Astorga – crossroads with the Camino de Santiago
- Salamanca – monumental university city
- Madrid – history, art, gastronomy and entertainment in Spain´s capital
- Dehesa landscapes – Jamón Iberico
- Historic Caceres, Trujillo, Guadalupe
- Sevilla – full of Andalucian ‘alegría’
* Indicative mid-season price for 14 nights (including car hire – flights not included).
Day 1 to 3 – Asturias: Picos & Dinosaur Coast
- Picos de Europa soaring directly from the coast
- Cider country – the Spanish Cornwall?
- Beautiful beaches with fossil dino-footprints
- Canoe down the Sella or get out on a fishing boat
- Oviedo’s fine Pre-Romanesque architecture
Day 4 & 5 – León & Astorga
- Leon’s cathedral & lively old town
- Maragato culture in Astorga
- Lunar landscape of Las Medulas
- Great wines from Toro, El Bierzo & Rueda
- Gaudi’s fairytale palace in Astorga
Day 6 & 7 – Salamanca
- Monumental Salamanca – a World Heritage Site
- Spain’s oldest university – Europe’s fourth
- Savour the delicious Gijuelo cured ham
- Casa de las Conchas – Dali’s inspiration?
- Stroll on the Roman bridge or in the lovely gardens
Day 8 & 9 – Hervás
- Explore the high Sierras of Gredos and Salamanca
- Lose yourself in the Jewish Quarter of Hervás
- Valle del Jerte cherry trees by the million – a real treat in Spring!
- Visit Candelario & Béjar – two true beauties
- Plasencia – key staging point on the Via de Plata
Day 10 & 11 – Trujillo
- Monfrague National Park – a lesser known gem
- Historic Cáceres & Trujillo with its imposing castle
- Take a pilgrimage to Guadalupe
- 2nd century Roman bridge at Alcántara
- Excellent local cheese and game dishes
Day 12 – Llerena
- Mérida, some of Spain’s finest Roman ruins
- Paintings of Zurbarán and much more in Zafra la Bella
- Jerez de Los Caballeros – town of the Conquistadores
- Discover the “dehesa” grazing for the Iberian pigs
- Sample the local jamón at Monesterio – simply the best
Day 13 & 14 – Sevilla
- Gateway to the New World & all its riches
- 3 World Heritage Sites in the Old Town!
- Magnificent Cathedral & Archive of the Indies
- Moorish Alcázar Palace & Giralda Tower
- Thriving Flamenco culture in Triana
The itinerary includes the following:
- Accommodation in our listed hotels – 2 sharing 1 std. double ensuite, B&B
- Economy 4dr car hire
- Guide book to Spain
- Restaurant guide covering regions en-route
- Instructions to find all accommodation & regional road map
- Flights – but we are able to advise
- One-way car hire charges, where applicable (see your quote email)
- The following car hire extras – these can be added at pick-up point
- extra driver
- child seats
- Garage parking where applicable (mostly city stops) – please ask us about parking charges
A point-to-point itinerary, this route is best enjoyed flying in to the north and back from the south of Spain – or vice versa – the best options are:
- From Stansted: Ryanair to Santander and Easyjet to Bilbao
- From Gatwick: to Bilbao with BA and Asturias with Vueling
- From Manchester: to Bilbao with Easyjet
- From Bristol: to Bilbao with Easyjet
- From Edinburgh: to Santander with Ryanair and Bilbao with Easyjet
- From Dublin: to Santander with Ryanair and Bilbao with Aer Lingus
- From Heathrow: Malaga with BA or Sevilla with Vueling
- From Gatwick: Granada, Jerez, Malaga or Sevilla with Easyjet
- From Stansted: Jerez, Malaga or Sevilla with Easyjet or Malaga with Ryanair
- From Luton: Malaga with Easyjet or Ryanair / Sevilla with Ryanair
- From Manchester: Granada with Easyjet, Malaga with Easyjet or Ryanair and Sevilla with Ryanair
- From Bristol: Malaga and Sevilla with either Ryanair or Easyjet
- From Dublin: Malaga with Ryanair and Aer Lingus
- From Edinburgh: Malaga with Ryanair or Jet2 and Sevilla with Easyjet or Ryanair
- Other UK airports available – ask us about these.
NB: Flights are not included
If these flights don’t suit the route can be adapted to suit many different options including, for example, starting or finishing in Madrid. Please contact us for advice.
For passengers travelling by air we will include a hire car as part of the package. Normally we include a 4 door economy class car but please let us know if you would like something different.
For those coming on the ferry you will use your own vehicle but in either case we will provide full instructions to arrive at each hotel, complete with GPS, as well as a map of the area
We enjoyed a 10 night tour taking in Salamanca, Seville, Grenada etc covering nearly 2000 miles.
Everything went fantastically and the itinery proved spot on for us as first time visitors and the hotels were all well located and each a little bit special. Added bonus includes advice on each area, hotel upgrades etc. and we had a super holiday.
We enjoyed the different experiences and learnt a great deal about that part of Spain.
Just to say a big thank you we had a brilliant holida
Absolutely fantastic holiday in Spain couldn’t have gone better.