Douro Wine Valley Tour PO4
Porto and the Douro Valley
Based on 7 nights self-drive independent tour in Portugal
Discover historic Porto and the Douro Valley, the world’s oldest, and possibly most picturesque, wine region.
From bustling Porto, on the Atlantic coast with its Port wine cellars and historic old town, head inland to the lush, steep-terraced vineyards of the Douro and Alto Douro near Pinhao. Discover a region full of beauty.
Along the way you’ll find enchanting towns and villages to discover; Amarante, Peso da Regua or Lamego with its famous baroque stairs to the Nossa Senhora dos Remedios church, as well as delicious local fare and unique, friendly atmosphere in the family run “Adegas” – taverns.
Of course the Douro river is the star of the tour with fantastic boat rides, scenery and walking as it meanders through the vineyards.
- Tour Highlights:
- Fascinating Porto with its World Heritage Site awarded Old Town
- Famous Port Wine Lodges, just across the impressive Dom Luis I bridge
- Captivating Douro valley and its steep terraced vineyards – The world’s oldest demarcated vineyards
- Wonderful gastronomy at “adegas” taverns
- Superb train ride from Pinhao to Pocinho
* Indicative prices (including car hire – flights not included).
Day 1 to 3 – Porto
- Ribeira, Porto’s fascinating historic centre, a World Heritage site
- Cross the impressive Dom Luis I iron bridge to the Port Wine Lodges
- Art for all from finest museums to simple galleries
- Walk the lanes, sail the river, live and breathe Porto
- Ferry to Afurada and the golden beach of Estrela
Day 4 & 5 – Douro Valley
- Fabulous Douro scenery – World Heritage site
- Visit some of the wine lodges “quintas” to sample Portugal’s premier wines
- Lamego – famous stairs of Nossa Senhora dos Remedios
- Amarante – charming town on the river Tamega
- Wonderful walking among the vines
Day 6 & 7 – Alto Douro
- Take an unforgettable boat trip from Peso de Regua upriver to Pinhao
- Pinhao and its delightful train station, decorated with beautiful azulejos – tiles
- Stunning Douro vineyards, the World’s oldest!
- Picnic at the beauty spot of San Salvador do Mundo
- Superb gastronomy in the atmospheric “adegas” taverns
The itinerary includes the following:
- Accommodation in our listed hotels – 2 sharing 1 std. double ensuite, B&B
- Economy 4dr car hire
- Regional map and guide book
- Instructions to find all accommodation & regional road map
- Flights – but we are able to advise
- One-way car hire charges, where applicable (see your quote email)
- The following car hire extras – these can be added at pick-up point
- extra driver
- Portuguese toll device (we highly recommend to take this service)
- child seats
- Garage parking where applicable (mostly city stops) – please ask us about parking charges
Fly directly to Oporto / Porto and hire a car – the best options are:
- From London Gatwick: TAP Portugal or Easyjet
- From London Stansted: Ryanair
- From London Heathrow: BA
- From Edinburgh: Ryanair
- From Liverpool: Ryanair
- From Manchester: Easyjet, TAP or Ryanair
- From Birmingham: Ryanair
- From Luton: Easyjet
- From Bristol: Easyjet
- From Dublin: Ryanair and TAP
PLEASE NOTE some flights are seasonal.
NB: Flights are not included
Alternatively you could fly to Lisbon (3 hours drive) or Santiago de Compostela in Spain (2hrs 30mins drive). Ask us about these.
As part of your package we will include a hire car. Normally we include a 4 door economy class car but please let us know if you would like something different.
The Douro valley is beautiful and far more extensive than I realised. Lots of places to visit. Porto is a vibrant city with lots to see and do. Excellent restaurants with wonderful food and wines.