Navarra to Catalunya
Based on 14 nights self-drive independent tour in Spain
Coast to coast across the Pyrenees from Navarra to Catalunya.
From the verdant hills and pretty villages which rise up from the Bay of Biscay this adventure will quickly whisk you up into the high, rocky Pyrenees. Through eastern Navarra with its dramatic gorges and immense native woodlands the route will take you on through some of Spain’s most spectacular National Parks including Ordesa & Monte Perdido, Posets-Maladeta, Aigüestortes, and the Garrotxa Volcanic Park.
There are lovely villages all the way; typically Navarran Urdax and Ochagavia, medieval Ainsa, Alquézar and Besalú and, last but not least, Santa Pau with Dali´s Figueras and the Costa Brava within easy reach.
- Breathtaking mountain scenery
- Lakes, gorges, immense woodlands
- Spectacular Nature Parks
- Superb birdwatching & wild flowers
- Unique cultures & architectural styles
- Delicious wines, cheeses & mountain fare
Day 1, 2 & 3 – North West Navarra
- Valleys of Baztan & Bidasoa – lost in time
- Picture-postcard villages of the French Pais-Basque
- Hondarribia, San Sebastian, Biarritz & St Jean de Luz
- Ride the train to the peak of La Rhune, stunning views
- Head south for vineyards, castles & don’t miss Pamplona
Day 4 & 5 – North East Navarra
- Irati forest – immense native woodlands
- Lumbier & Arbayun, stunning gorges with vast resident vulture colonies
- Ochagavia & Isaba; Ori, your first 2000m mountain
- Wonderful cheeses from Roncal & Ossau-Iraty
- Roncesvalles, start for the Camino de Santiago
Day 6 & 7- Huesca, Valle de Tena
- Stunning glacial scenery in the Tena Valley
- Reindeer, bison, bears and more in La Cuniacha
- Castillo de Loarre & Mallos de Riglo rock formations
- San Juan de la Peña monastery, the spiritual heart of Aragon
- Huesca, the tiny capital with a gastronomic side
Day 8, 9 & 10 – Ordesa, Monte Perdido, Sierra de Guara
- Moorish Alquézar & Christian Ainsa – two charming medieval villages
- Ordesa & Monte Perdido – Spain’s first National Park
- Sierra de Guara – cut through by dramatic gorges
- Delicious local Somontano wines
- Superb bird watching – Lammergeyer centre in Ainsa
Days 11 & 12- Val d’Aneu and Val d’Aran
- Gateway to the Parc Nacional d’ Aiguestortes i Estany
- Unique culture, architecture in the Val d’Aran
- Parc Nacional del Alt Pirineu with the highest peaks
- Churches – Romanesque, Renaissance and Baroque
- Mountain gastronomy with local cheeses, honey and even local caviar!
Day 13 & 14 – Garrotxa Volcanic Park
- Medieval Santa Pau and Besalú’s Jewish quarter
- Cuina Volcanica, ingredients grown in the volcanic soil
- Visit Santa Margarida – the chapel in the crater
- Dali museum in Figueras or hop down to the coast
- Cycle, Segway, trek or balloon ride over the Volcanoes
- Explore the Alt Garrotxa, eastern end of the Pyrenees
The itinerary includes the following:
- Accommodation in our listed hotels – 2 sharing 1 std. double ensuite, B&B
- Economy 4dr car hire
- Regional map and guide book
- Restaurant guide covering regions en-route
- Instructions to find all accommodation & regional road map
- Flights – but we are able to advise
- One-way car hire charges, where applicable (see your quote email)
- The following car hire extras – these can be added at pick-up point
- extra driver
- child seats
- Garage parking where applicable (mostly city stops) – please ask us about parking charges
A point-to-point itinerary, this route is best enjoyed flying in to the Basque Country (Bilbao) and back from Catalunya (Barcelona or Girona) – or vice versa – the best options are:
- Connections from-to
- Stansted: to Bilbao or Barcelona with Easyjet
- Heathrow: to Bilbao with BA or Barcelona with BA
- Manchester: to Bilbao with Easyjet or Girona with Ryanair
- Bristol: to Bilbao or Barcelona with Easyjet
- Edinburgh: to Bilbao with Easyjet and to Barcelona with several airlines
- Single port of entry and return: Interleaving the stages
- Gatwick: to Barcelona with several airlines
- Luton: to Barcelona with several airlines
- Glasgow: to Barcelona with Jet2
- Dublin: to Barcelona with several airlines
There are many other UK airports and various carriers – please call us for advice.
Flights are also available with from Stansted to Biarritz returning from Perpignan – please note that hire cars must be returned to their country of origin.
NB: Flights are not included
If these flights don’t suit the route can be adapted to suit a single port of entry and return, interleaving the stages.
For passengers travelling by air we will include a hire car as part of the package. Normally we include a 4 door economy class car but please let us know if you would like something different.
We will provide full instructions to arrive at each hotel, complete with GPS co-ords, as well as a touring map of the area
What our clients say
Good hotels and locations. Well organised holiday touring the best of the Pyrenees and North East Spain.
– client 2018
Casas Cantabricas took one of their standard tours and amended for our personal requirements.
– client 2018
We stayed in lovely hotels, three of which were in mediaval villages. Exceptional meals in Posada al vent and Cal Sastre. We walked in the national parks and swam in the river. There was also the most beautiful local pool in Uncastillo, a welcome relief in very hot weather.
– client 2017
Andy and Guru from Casas Cantabricas organised our self drive holiday across the Spanish Pyrenees